in

What happens if you accidentally ingest mold?

You will not die, you may experience nausea, vomiting, poisoning and difficulty breathing. Dealing with moldy food: Throw away all soft food and cut out some hard food. Avoid Moldy Foods: Double Check Before Buying…

intro 1565197171

It’s “indescribable” to eat a piece of bread and suddenly find yourself biting into a piece of penicillium. Not only was it disgusting, it was anxiety-provoking because they wondered if eating mold was dangerous and needed to go to the emergency room right away.

In fact, this is a very common phenomenon. Mold can easily grow on soft, spongy foods like bread, fruits and vegetables, explains New York-based registered dietitian Keri Gans. Also, people may have even eaten them without knowing it.

Basically, eating moldy food isn’t as harmful and life-threatening as any other food, says Rudolph Bedford, a gastroenterologist at Providence St. John’s Health Center in Santa Monica. thinker.

So even if you accidentally ingest that patch of green mold, you might be fine. However, in order to avoid eating moldy food, you still need to pay attention to the following points:

What happens when mold eats it?
Running to the bathroom to brush your tongue and gargle is the first thing many people think of when they ingest mold. According to Dr. Rudolph, you won’t die from eating this. In fact, if the immune system is in good shape, the body can digest mold just like any other food.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) says that while mold can grow on plant and animal products through prolonged exposure to air, water or insects, they are generally not dangerous.

In addition, mold can also appear on some foods, such as ham and dry processed cheese. In many cases, these green patches are perfectly edible.

Can you get sick from eating moldy food?

According to Dr. Rudolph, it is very rare to get sick after ingesting mold. For this, you will have to eat a lot of green patches on this food.

However, if people experience symptoms such as persistent nausea and vomiting, they should contact their doctor as soon as possible. Usually, taking anti-nausea medication will relieve symptoms.

In severe cases, your doctor may prescribe medication that causes vomiting or diarrhea to get the toxins out of your body as quickly as possible.

For people with mold allergies, consuming green patches on these foods can cause breathing problems.

Don’t worry too much, though, because the phenomenon is usually short-lived and easily treatable, says Dr. Rudolph.

Is the food edible if the mold is removed?

Foods that should be discarded when mold develops include soft cheeses, soft fruits, baked goods, beans, nuts, yogurt, jellies, bread, and meats.

When noticing a little mold on food, many people assume that these green patches can be trimmed and preserved. This is right or wrong, depending on the type of food.

According to the USDA, while you may only see a small portion of mold on the outside of your food, the poison is likely deep inside and invisible to the naked eye. So it’s best to throw away all foods that contain these green patches, no matter where the mold is.

However, mold does not easily penetrate some hard cheeses, hard sausages, and hard-shelled fruits and vegetables, such as soft foods. Therefore, they are rarely attacked by green patches located deep in the core.

Everyone should cut at least 2-3cm around and below the mold, don’t let the knife get moldy while making it, and cover the leftovers in a layer of plastic wrap.

How to prevent mold from forming?

While it’s impossible to completely eliminate mold, a few simple tips can help your food stay fresh longer and limit mold growth.

Mold usually thrives in warm, humid environments. Dry mold spores float in the air, looking for a suitable place to grow. Here are USDA recommendations to help prevent these green patches from growing on food in the most effective and easiest way possible:

– Check food carefully before buying.

Buy food in sufficient quantities so that mold doesn’t have time to grow.

– Wrap food in plastic wrap.

– Store food in the refrigerator.

– Throw away leftovers after 3-4 days.

– Clean the refrigerator regularly.

Keep indoor humidity below 40%.

coronavirus

Is Covid-19 reinfection common? Who are the high-risk groups for the disease? numbers that can be spoken in english

How to detox properly? Harvard expert's '5 should 1 avoid' rule

How to detox properly? Harvard expert’s ‘5 should 1 avoid’ rule